Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Malls for Miles

Last week while I was away, Laura reported in her blog that a new mall had opened up near our flat on our side of the river. Today we went over to have another look around (me for a first look). I still can't get over that all of this construction was going on in a place that I walked by dozens of times and there wasn't really a hint. Here's a map of the mall:
There are three floors of underground parking. There's a garden on the roof. It has a lovely indoor/outdoor design. Plus, we found a reusable ice pack in the farmacia there. We'd been kind of looking around for one for several weeks. There are a few chain restaurants in there that might be nice. There's also a "Target-like" department store called Primark that seems to be all the rage. It did seem reasonably priced and might be a good place to look for clothing as we get into the cooler months and start discovering gaps in the clothes that we brought over from the US in July.

***

I slept until 9:15am this morning. Hoping to get up a little earlier tomorrow as I get back onto Sevilla time.

***

Talked to Emily a bit this evening. She went to see about vaccinations for her Ethiopia trip and ended up with just a flu shot and some typhoid pills and some advice about how to reduce the risk of contracting other diseases while there. Mostly it's about preventing mosquito bites.

***

I guess it's our turn for painting now. Mario informs us that our building will be undergoing some painting for the next 4-6 weeks. Mostly on the roof and the interior courtyard and patio. Unfortunately, we will lose access to the clotheslines on the roof. He kindly supplied us with a drying rack for here inside the flat. We managed with just a drying rack in Hungary with 4 people for a year, so I'm guessing we'll make this work too.

***

I'm writing a little applied math article on using smartphone sensor data in the math classroom. I've been reading about numerical differentiation and GPS error. Interesting stuff. I tried to record 10 minutes of GPS data in the park today while reading, but must've screwed something up because the data file was empty when I got home. I'll try again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment