Tuesday, December 18, 2018

A bit of a cold.

My sore throat has turned into a bit of a cold. I mostly stayed in and worked. My one outing was to Spanish class at 4pm. I was pretty worthless there. When you have a cold, it's hard to run your brain at peak. Unfortunately, listening and speaking in class requires that. Even when I don't have a cold, there are some days where I really hear Spanish well and others when I don't.

On the other hand, sometimes you just don't know. Our teacher put the following clues on the board. Each clue described a different Christmas tradition:


All were traditions you find in Spain and some elsewhere. If you zoom in on the photo, the resolution is good enough to read the sentences. The answers:

  1. The Christmas Lottery "el gordo".
  2. The Cavalcade of the Three Kings.
  3. Twelve Grapes.
  4. Describes the use of pig fat in candy. I didn't get the name of the candy.
  5. Describes the tradition of putting up a nativity. It comes from Italy. Nativities in homes are far more common than Christmas trees.
  6. Describes the tradition of singing Christmas carols, los villancicos
***

Laura made hamburgers for dinner. After dinner we watched a "Christmas movie" on Netflix called Office Christmas Party, it was funny enough. Jason Bateman and several other notables were in it. I really like Jason Bateman.

After the movie, we hear a lot of successive bangs coming from outside. Turns out they were fireworks coming from one of the nearby Catholic brotherhood buildings. You could hear a marching band too. Yet another procession in the neighborhood. I took this from the roof of our building:




No comments:

Post a Comment