Tuesday, February 12, 2019

It's Not Dead

I've been seeing this cat on my walks/runs along the river lately. Today it was stretched out on the path:


As busy as this path is at this time of day, the cat demonstrated remarkable equanimity. I don't think it was dead, haha.

After dinner this evening, I took the trash out and decided to keep going. I walked over to the cathedral area. Not many people around this time of year even though the weather has been wonderful:


This is the first time I've seen the Giralda since they removed the renovation scaffolding on this face:


You can definitely see the improved surface.

On the way home, I passed through Plaza Nueva. There are three bike stations there, just like this one:


Every morning the one near our house is empty, but these stations seem to always have hundreds (or at least dozens).

***

I continued reading Everybody Lies today. I read about an interesting study of successful people (defined as having a Wikipedia page about them). Turns out they're much more likely to come from diverse, urban areas than homogeneous rural areas. A study on upward mobility shows similar patterns. There are places in the country that have fantastic records of upward mobility and other places that are like caste systems where there is virtually no upward mobility. As the author points out, big data doesn't just identify where things are going wrong, but where things might be going right.

No comments:

Post a Comment