Monday, February 25, 2019

Math History

I spent most of the day reading about the math history of the idea of "center of gravity". I'm hoping to include a nice overview in the paper I'm writing. Turns out the first recorded mathematical treatment is due to Archimedes in the 3rd century BC. Archimedes of  "give me a long enough lever and a place to stand and I can move the earth" fame. Turns out, that has a lot to do with centers of gravity. Folks in the middle ages sort of rediscovered Archimedes and started applying methods of infinitesimals to the problem of finding centers of gravity of solids. Indeed, their methods were important precursors to the discovery of calculus, particularly the work of Leibniz in the 17th century. It's fun to read about these ideas and at the same time routinely encounter buildings here in Sevilla that predate the development of calculus by some 300 years.

***

There were two new students in my Spanish class today. We had a nice time exploring the past tense of verbs like "me gusta". Not sure I could get it right in an extemporaneous conversation, but at least I understand the grammar.

***

Didn't walk/run too much today. Still resting a bit of  a foot injury. That said, the two walks I did do today (about a mile each) were essentially pain free. I'm optimistic that I'm past the injury now.

***

The winter in Walla Walla won't quit. Normally, this time of year, daffodils are blooming and buds are developing on trees. Instead, it just keeps snowing and giving sub-freezing weather. I'm glad I'm missing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment