Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Real Alcazar redux

The paper submission process is slowly converging. Got most of the auxiliary material ready for submission. Laura's willing to have another pass at the draft. Once that's done, I'll pull the trigger. I'm confident it'll be in by the end of the week.

***

I picked up All of Statistics again. There are computational exercises at the ends of the chapters. Today I spent some time doing those exercises in jupyter. I'm pretty comfortable with that platform now. I'm really interested in trying to get it into the classroom.

***

We went to the Real Alcazar today with Marge. I think this is the 4th time for me, but it was Marge and Laura's first time. The weather was clear and warm. I took a lot of the usual pictures, but used the GoPro this time. I learned that you can't just leave the camera on, because it burns through the battery disappointingly quickly. At around 38%, I started turning it off and on between shots. That helped a lot. It's annoying that the camera can't do this on its own between shots.

The GoPro's stills are pretty good, but not enough better than my phone to make it worth dealing with. Its real niche is in timelapse and slo-mo. Here's what made the cut for the blog:



Here I tried the wide angle lens:



In general, I think in these circumstances, the linear view is better. At least the palm trees are straight, haha:




These climbing flowers were pretty distinctive, though I think they were just some variant on a Morning Glory:


This trellised gazebo in the large garden is probably the most peaceful place to just sit and relax in the garden there:


Obligatory jamón man:


Here's a slo-mo of the spout. This is 1080p at 240fps slowed to 24fps:


***

My long-lived and trusty bluetooth speaker finally gave out on me yesterday. If I were home, I'd probably have taken it apart and tried to repair it since the only problem it had was a faulty power switch. I don't have a soldering iron here though. So I tossed old faithful and bought this one today at Fnac:


I like it. The sound is much superior to the previous--especially in the low-frequencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment