Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Spanish Dragonfly

I woke up in the middle of the night with a good idea on how to improve a proof in a paper I'm writing. Unfortunately, it kept me up for about a half-hour. Eventually, I fell asleep again. Fortunately, when I woke up in the morning, it was still a good idea. I spent most of the day re-writing that part of the paper (including re-generating some figures).

***

I started reading the boldly titled All of Statistics by Larry Wasserman. The claim is that this book provides a quick and rigorous introduction to statistics for people that already know mathematics. So far it's been good. I worked through the first chapter on probability theory. I proved a couple of exercises. Turns out probability theory is a lot like set theory and I really like set theory.

***

It's been really lovely here in Sevilla these past few weeks. In the afternoons, it's warm enough to open the windows in the flat. When I got home this evening after my daily walk/run along the river, I was startled by a loud, intermittent buzzing sound. After a while, I zeroed in on the sound and it seemed to be coming from behind this framed poster in our hallway:


I warily took down the frame and turned it around:


and found this Spanish dragonfly. I took the frame out into the building courtyard and managed to get it to fly away. Glad I figured it out because I really didn't want this thing alighting on me in the middle of the night, or even buzzing annoyingly behind the poster frame. Now everybody is where they're supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment