Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Density

I'm still working on my paper. I'd been mulling over adding an important generalization to the results, but was a bit afraid of how hard it might be. This morning, in a fit of energy, I decided to just start at the beginning of my notes and start incorporating a density function into the narrative, theorems and proofs. It took most of the day, but I got it done. The proofs didn't need too much fixing and all the results still held. With a density function, the results are more useful to a couple of other areas of math and also more useful in applications like image compression. Sometimes the dread of something is way worse than the actual something.

***

Happy first day of spring (which doesn't officially start for another hour at the time of this writing)! It was actually a bit cool here today, but still wonderfully sunny. My run along the river was actually more pleasant in the cool breeze.

Walla Walla seems to be emerging from its long, cold winter too. It's 56F there right now. Probably the warmest temperature of the year so far there. I hope next winter is much milder than this one was.

***

I've mentioned before that there are thousands of orange trees in Sevilla (and throughout southern Spain). The trees are now starting to bloom. The blossoms look a bit like honeysuckle blossoms. Even better, they smell like honeysuckle blossoms. Walking around the city the past 10 days or so, you often get strong wafts of the orange blossom smell. The orange tree is such an important part of Spanish culture that the language has a word specifically for "orange blossom", azahar.

No comments:

Post a Comment